Should I get an Annulment in California?

Trust the San Diego divorce attorneys at The Law Office of Doppelt and Forney, APLC to help you through your divorce, legal separation or paternity case. We offer all potential new clients a free 30 minute consultation directly with an attorney, never a paralegal or other staff member. At your consultation, the attorney will provide you with legal analysis, techniques and strategies to help you obtain your legal goals and ensure your rights are being protected.

As a full-service law firm, we will handle all of the often confusing pleadings and motions for you, always with your best interests in mind. We can run guideline child and spousal support calculations so you have realistic expectations.

A little bit more about our services: We prepare the petition and summons and all the initial dissolution pleadings for filing with the San Diego Superior Court. We will assist with the mandatory preliminary declarations of disclosure including the schedule of assets and debts and income and expense declaration. Our firm assists with the preparation of all pleadings and court appearances as necessary including the family resolution conference. We also handle post-judgement motions including motions for modification of child and spousal support and the parenting plan as well as motions to set aside the judgement and enforcement of the judgement. We can assist with emergency hearings [ex-parte] as needed.

Please reach out to learn more about how Doppelt and Forney, APLC can help you!

What’s the difference between an annulment and a divorce?

In California, if you are looking to end your marriage, there are a couple different ways to proceed. Divorce is the most common way of dissolving your marriage, but there are other options as well.

If you believe your marriage is not legally valid, you may be able to petition a California Court for an annulment.

What is an annulment?

An annulment is the way to void your marriage because it is not legal. When the annulment is granted, it is as if your marriage never happened.

How do I get an annulment?

One spouse needs to file a petition with the Court. According to the California Courts website, legal reasons for annulment include:

– Incest
– Bigamy
– Age at time of marriage
– Prior marriage or domestic partnership
– Unsound mind
– Fraud
– Force
– Physically incapable of “consummating” the relationship

What if I don’t qualify for an annulment?

If you don’t qualify for an annulment, there are other ways to end your marriage. If you have been married for less than five years, have no children together, have minimal assets or debts, among other requirements, you may be eligible for a summary dissolution.

If you are not eligible for a summary dissolution, a regular divorce is the best option for you. If you have minor children and/or significant assets or debts, we strongly urge you to speak to an attorney today to learn how to protect your rights and obtain your legal goals.

San Diego Divorce Attorneys

Find out whether a divorce or annulment is right for you. Call Doppelt and Forney, APLC for a free consultation at 800-769-4748. We proudly serve clients in San Diego and surrounding communities, including Chula Vista, Coronado, Carlsbad, Encinitas, La Jolla, Oceanside, Ramona, San Marcos, and Vista. We represent clients in family law court in all of the court houses in San Diego County including downtown, Vista, Chula Vista and El Cajon.

Contact Information