The Law Office of Doppelt and Forney, APLC practices in all aspects of family law. This includes divorce, legal separation, paternity, child support, child custody and visitation, spousal support, prenuptial agreements, and more.
Choosing a divorce lawyer is an extremely important decision, and making the right decision can be stressful. Below are a few tips to help you make the right decision for your needs and goals.
1. Do your online research. We recommend reading reviews on Google and Yelp to get a better idea of client satisfaction and work styles. Because divorce is such an emotional time, don’t run away just because there are a few negative reviews. However, if you notice a pattern of negative reviews in combination with few (if any) positive reviews, that should be a red flag.
2. Make sure the attorney you are interested in practices in your Courthouse. San Diego County is a large county, and many attorneys may only practice in one or two of the County Courthouses. If you don’t know which Courthouse your case will be in, you can find out here. Then, ideally, choose an attorney relatively close to your Courthouse. The Law Office of Doppelt and Forney, APLC practices in all San Diego County Courthouses.
3. Take advantage of a free consultation. Even consult a couple lawyers before you make a decision. Be prepared with questions and choose the lawyer you feel most confident in.
4. Remember, your attorney is not your therapist. You are paying for a legal service. Do not expect your attorney to be your shoulder to cry on, or person to vent to. Your attorney should be professional, all while still being compassionate and understanding of your situation.
5. Be 100% sure that you want to hire a divorce attorney. Hiring a divorce attorney is not a small investment, and backing out after your attorney has already started work on your case can be a large waste of money.
6. Keep an eye out for red flags during the consultation, such as promising the outcome of a case. A lawyer is not a Judge, and therefore cannot guarantee outcomes. However, an attorney can guarantee to do their best to protect your rights and obtain your legal goals. They can also let you know, in their opinion, your chance of success, to provide you with realistic expectations.
Call Doppelt and Forney, APLC for a free consultation at 800-769-4748 for assistance with your divorce, legal separation or paternity case. At the free consultation, you will meet with an experienced lawyer who will listen to your case and provide you with strategies to help you protect your rights moving forward. We represent clients with family law cases in all of the Courthouses in San Diego County including Vista, Chula Vista, downtown and El Cajon. We proudly serve clients in San Diego and surrounding communities, including Chula Vista, Coronado, Carlsbad, Encinitsas, La Jolla, Oceanside, ramona, San Marcos and Vista.