Can I Get a Summary Dissolution?

The Law Offices of Doppelt and Forney, APLC practices in all aspects of family law. This includes divorce, legal separation, paternity, child custody, child support, spousal support, prenuptial agreements, and more.

At the free consultation, you will meet with an experienced lawyer who will listen to your case and provide you with strategies to help protect your rights moving forward. We can run guideline child and spousal support calculations so you have realistic expectations. As you may know, the paperwork involved with family law cases can be extremely confusing and lengthy. Our firm assists with the preparation of all pleadings and court appearances as necessary including the family resolution conferences. We also handle post judgment motions including motions for modification of child and spousal support and the parenting plan as well as motions to set aside the judgment and enforcement of the judgment. We will perform and conduct legal research as needed. We prepare the petition and summons and all the initial dissolution pleadings for filing with the San Diego Superior Court. We can assist with emergency hearings [ex parte] as needed. We also assist with motions for child custody, child visitation, spousal support, alimony, attorney fees, residence exclusion orders and others. To learn more about our services and how we can help you with your family law case, call us today to schedule your free consultation.

What is a summary dissolution?

A summary dissolution is a quicker and easier way to get divorced in California. To get a summary dissolution, you and your partner will prepare a Joint Petition for Summary Dissolution (form FL-800), a property settlement agreement and Judgement of Dissolution and Notice of Entry of Judgement (form FL-825). Your divorce will be final six months after you file your Joint Petition for Summary Dissolution. You will not have to appear in court for a summary dissolution.

Do I qualify for a summary dissolution?

Not everyone qualifies for a summary dissolution in California. You must reside in California for at least 6 months and have lived in the county you are filing for at least 3 months. According to the California Court’s website, summary dissolution is only possible for couples who:

1. Have no children together.
2. Have been married and/or in a domestic partnership five years or less.
3. Community property is not worth more than $43,000 (cars not included).
4. Neither spouse has separate property worth more than $43,000 (cars not included).
5. The total of community obligations is $6,000 or less (cars not included).
6. Do not want spousal or partner support from each other.
7. Have no disagreements about how their belongings and their debts are going to be divided once they are no longer married.

For a full explanation of a summary dissolution and how to file one in California, click here.

Should I hire an attorney?

While you do not have to hire an attorney for your summary dissolution, an attorney will be able to provide you with legal advice and help you make sure your rights are protected. A summary dissolution may not be for everyone even if you do qualify, and a lawyer can help you decide the best route for you to take. Also, a lawyer will ensure all of your required paperwork is filled out completely and you are not forgetting anything or misinterpreting anything.

Contact us for a Free Consultation
Are you considering a summary dissolution? Consult an attorney today. While a summary dissolution is quicker and easier than a normal dissolution, it still may be wise to talk to a lawyer to make sure your rights are protected. Call The Law Offices of Doppelt and Forney, APLC today to schedule a free consultation with an experienced attorney. Call today and feel peace of mind tonight with Doppelt and Forney. We represent clients in family law court in all of the court houses in San Diego County including downtown, Vista, Chula Vista and El Cajon. We can prepare the marriage settlement agreement and judgment pleadings.

Contact Information